Winging it

I have always liked insects; their complicated intricate bodies are fascinating to look at. And have been thinking about starting a series of lino butterfly images for a while.

I finally got around to putting pen to paper last night. These are pencil, pen and ink  drawings on which I will base some my prints. As well as the design and outline, the different shades of grey indicate where the different printing layers might go.

These are just the first sketches. But I find that black and grey with another colour helps when it comes to dividing up the different printing stages. They also remind me what my intentions were once printing has started – I don’t work from a plan, but the sketches stop me going too crazy!

IMG_9240 IMG_0616 IMG_0621

A walk in the park

Picking my sister up from the airport yesterday reminded me of the sketches I did when I last saw her. In April, I went out for two weeks to visit her in Long Island, New York. The trip involved wine tasting, sitting on the beach, and walking around Central Park, amongst other things. I meant to share these at the time – better late than never!







An alternative use for lino cutters

As some of you know, I work in a school. Last week we went on a trip to Garsons farm in Surrey to pick pumpkins. One of the perks of going was taking home a pumpkin to carve. However, I also had the class pumpkin to do and since the children I work with are so young, I had avoid anything scary.

I decided to carve a repunzal themed pumpkin for the class. This was a fairly intricate design, so instead of the standard sharp knife, I got out my equally, well maybe more, sharp lino cutters. This was much easier on the wrists, and allowed me to carve a design that would otherwise have been impossible.

The pumpkin with a nighttime tree scene is mine. And now sits outside my house waiting for the trick or treaters!


IMG_0551  IMG_0548  IMG_0545 IMG_0550IMG_4289IMG_5516  IMG_0552

Back and drawing again

Arhhhhhh I’m alive !!!

As I am sure you all know, life can be very inconvenient at times and mine has been constantly getting in the way of all my artistic endeavors for far too long. But I am back and I have so much to share with you all.

Instead of offloading everything at once I thought I would start small.

This is a line drawing I have just finished, which features on the front of an invitation for my grandparents 60th wedding anniversary party – congratulations Granny and Grandpa! [I think the invitations have been posted so this shouldn't spoil the surprise too much!]


Birthday letters

It was my sister’s birthday last week. She had some friends over for dinner and while they were over, some of them had a go at lino printing. Katherine is off to the USA tomorrow. Each of us designed an image to go on a card, which we could then write and send to her. As a general note, lino printing and cocktails should not be combined. Luckily no hands were hurt in the making of these cards.

Anna's Owl.

Anna’s Owl.

Sophie's Owls.

Sophie’s Owls.

Katherine printing.

Katherine printing.

My houses and katherine's pattern.

My houses and katherine’s pattern.

Prints drying in the convservatory.

Prints drying in the conservatory. Katherine’s, Sophie’s and Nia’s prints.

The result of lino printing and alcohol is sad houses :(

The result of lino printing and alcohol is sad houses :(

Sam's witch.

Sam’s witch.

Christmas all wrapped up

I have perhaps left the wrapping a little late. Just finished the last of the presents to go under the tree. I decided to print some of my own paper this year using the squiggle tree design. I am very pleased with how it came out, but unlikely to do it again – each sheet took a few hours to print. Beautiful, but perhaps not the best use of time!

Merry Christmas to you all. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.