Yesterday, I did what I thought was going to be the final layer of the robin print, but as you can see in the images below, this didn’t work as well as I had hoped it might. It was a step too far and the layers did not line up correctly. In the end I decided against another layer and so didn’t print the rest of the images.
Step 7: Finishing up.
For the final layer I cut the robin image out of a wood tile. The idea with using a different tile was to give more depth and texture to the print. This was the first time I have used wood. I really like the way it printed, but for this image it was just too much.
Robin wood cut.
The wood print, which didn't align properly.
There is always a point at which you have to put the cutter down and stop. You could go further and end up with 20 layers for every image, but that can just clutter the print. You have to find the happy medium for the image.
I also printed a label for the back of the card. Remember when using words that the cut must be a mirror of the print you desire or the words will come out backwards.
Card label. These did come out really well, but for some reason I photographed the worst example.