The third layer. I won’t bore you with the long list of reasons it took me so long to get started on this; it is an extremely long list! Slowly coming together.
The second layer of my bee has been printed. The colour of this layer is very close to that of the first. This is because I want to add some depth to the image later on.
The second cut of my latest Lino print is done (but not yet printed). The yellow from the first layer will show through in all the newly cut spots. The white voids from the first print will stay white — so long as I line everything up properly!
This little bird is a combination of a very simple mono print and a dry point etching. Because of the mono print, the colour underneath is bird is the same, and yet very different.
First I placed a plate of toughened glass over the etching and painted a yellow bird shape.
Then I ran it through the press.
Then the prints went for a bath to make the paper wet for the etch print.
The final image is small and simple, but effective.
On Sunday I finally found the time to start printing a bee!
The first layer always looks very strange, lots of random lines and voids. But I promise there is method to the madness and the lines are not random at all. Only 8-10 layers to go.