The final butterfly isn’t a butterfly at all, but a moth. It is the same etching that I printed some time back on the wrong paper. Here it looks much better. The right tools make all the difference.
A while ago I started on some butterfly and moth etchings, but I didn’t have the right paper to print them with. The paper arrived this week so, today I got to printing them. Here is the first one.
The final layer is printed! This brown addition finishes the butterfly.
I have to let the ink dry. Then I can sign my name, and add the print number to each print that makes it through the final check.
This one has taken a while to complete – the downside of having a full time job that isn’t art!
The third layer has finally dried enough for me to print on top of it. Layer four is bright red.
I think that the brightness works well with the previous muted shades. It gives some definition to the wings that another yellow layer might not have.
With all these different layers, the lino plate is beginning to look a little sparse. The final few cuts are always the most exciting for me. This is the point where, after working on an image for weeks, I can either mess it all up, or it magically comes together.
I obviously plan the layers out, but I never really know what it is going to look like until I lift the paper out of the press and peel back the lino.
The ink is still wet from the last layer. I (and you) will have wait until it is dry to decide on how it turned out.