For the last few weeks I have been holed up at the Nomad Theatre painting the backdrops for their new production Pajama Game, a musical based around a pay dispute in a pajama factory.
First step was to cover up the old Cinderella backdrop and create a base for the new scene: Green for a forest and blue for a river.
Then I started to add in the details
I painted the tree foliage in using a sponge and as many different shades of green as I mix to give the scene shadows and highlights.
Then I added details on the bridge and the forest floor.
The panto scenery is finally finished. It was stumped initially on how to finish the ballroom cloth. The answer when I think about it was obvious, so obvious it took me until the day before the show goes up to work it out! Aball with a famous midnight finish should have a NIGHT sky (with glitter).
The glitter is a little bit hard to see but I promise it is compleatly covered with the stuff. In almost every colour imaginable.
As you can see I have plenty of glitter.
I also finished off some of the prop houses for the panto village and part of Hardup Hall (Cinderellas) house. All I need now is the director to sign off on everything and I can try say “its behind you ” with pleasure as an audience member on Saturday.
I have begun to paint the detail of the pumpkin. It’s not finished yet but here’s what i’ve done so far. I am going to add glitter (no panto is complete without glitter) and silver paint. I believe there might even be some fairy lights — a little bit of magic.
This cloth is going to be Cinderella’s kitchen. I painted the whole cloth with different shades of grey using a roller to give a mottled stone effect.
Then I added the fireplace details in black.
Red and yellow.
Those of you who have followed me for a while will know that sometimes a wave of insanity catches hold of me, during which I agree to paint back drop cloths for the Nomad theatre (of which I am a member). This time I found myself saying yes to painting the scenes for the Christmas panto Cinderella.
The first cloth is for the ballroom scene. First job was to paint over my previous backdrop with blue.
Then I added shading to give depth and perspective.
Now all I have to do is put something inside the windows.
Some time ago I got roped into helping with the scenery and back cloth designs at my local theatre (The Nomad Theatre). This week I am back to start painting the cloths for the next play Whistle Down The Wind. There are two different scenes that I am going to paint, the first is going to have a corn field view, and the second will show a road over pass and a neon road sign. I’ve put the initial sketches together. Next step to start painting. Its fun doing the back drops, but not quite what I am used to – large rollers and huge tubs of paints rather than my dainty cutters and paint brushes! Progress report to come.