For the last few weeks I have been holed up at the Nomad Theatre painting the backdrops for their new production Pajama Game, a musical based around a pay dispute in a pajama factory.
First step was to cover up the old Cinderella backdrop and create a base for the new scene: Green for a forest and blue for a river.
Then I started to add in the details
I painted the tree foliage in using a sponge and as many different shades of green as I mix to give the scene shadows and highlights.
Then I added details on the bridge and the forest floor.
The final phase of the backdrop painting. Leaves, leaves and more leaves.
Then I set to work adding details to the trunks.
And here is the final cloth ready to go up on the set.
Now the paint has dried it is time for phase two. First, I added in a base colour for the trees – a cream colour.
Then I used a basic brown to give the trees some depth. They will need a darker colour later. After the trunks have dried I will start on the foliage.
I started to paint my studio tables. First a white base coat to prime the wood.
Then a splash of very bright yellow paint – my very yellow studio wasn’t quite yellow enough!
I will have to do a second coat and then paint the shelves.
My sister thinks its unnecessarily bright – exactly what I was going for.
One of the main reasons for my blogging absence in 2013 was my sister’s wedding. With her in the USA and the taking place in the UK, there was lots for me to do! It wasn’t all hard work though. I also got to organise the hen party!
We had an arty day painting pottery that was then used at the wedding. My sister picked the colours and then everyone went crazy! It’s a really fun day out – I’d recommend doing it even without the party and wedding. In fact I’ve been back quite a few times to paint my own crockery.
The pictures below show the end results (the cake plate was my contribution).
Next step for backdrop number two was adding in the sign and cornfields. I went barefoot again to save my shoes and so I didn’t have to reach so far. Hopefully I didn’t leave any red foot prints on the floor!
I’ve started on painting my jigsaw fish. Rather than paint, which would likely just end up in a big mess, I’ve gone for pen and ink. Each piece was taken off, drawn on and then put back in place. Its going to take a while, but i’m pleased with the result so far.