For the last few weeks I have been holed up at the Nomad Theatre painting the backdrops for their new production Pajama Game, a musical based around a pay dispute in a pajama factory.
First step was to cover up the old Cinderella backdrop and create a base for the new scene: Green for a forest and blue for a river.
Then I started to add in the details
I painted the tree foliage in using a sponge and as many different shades of green as I mix to give the scene shadows and highlights.
Then I added details on the bridge and the forest floor.
The third layer. I won’t bore you with the long list of reasons it took me so long to get started on this; it is an extremely long list! Slowly coming together.
The second layer of my bee has been printed. The colour of this layer is very close to that of the first. This is because I want to add some depth to the image later on.
lino ready for printing
Print with two layers.
The second cut of my latest Lino print is done (but not yet printed). The yellow from the first layer will show through in all the newly cut spots. The white voids from the first print will stay white — so long as I line everything up properly!
This little bird is a combination of a very simple mono print and a dry point etching. Because of the mono print, the colour underneath is bird is the same, and yet very different.
First I placed a plate of toughened glass over the etching and painted a yellow bird shape.
Inked plate before printing.
Then I ran it through the press.
After running the plate through the press.
Little bird layer 1.
Then the prints went for a bath to make the paper wet for the etch print.
The etching plate after printing.
Finished Little bird.
The final image is small and simple, but effective.
On Sunday I finally found the time to start printing a bee!
The first cuts into the lino.
The first print.
The first layer always looks very strange, lots of random lines and voids. But I promise there is method to the madness and the lines are not random at all. Only 8-10 layers to go.